Monday, November 25, 2019

Gahan Wilson

johnny optimism, medical, humor, sick, jokes, boy, wheelchair, doctors, hospital, stilton jarlsberg, gahan wilson, cartoonist, death, in memoriam, genius

Last week saw the passing of cartoonist Gahan Wilson, the master of macabre, funny, and wildly original visual humor. I've been a fan of his work for 50 years or more, and he was certainly an influence on my somewhat off-kilter sense of humor...especially as it related to Johnny Optimism.

Gahan Wilson leaves behind a vast collection of beautifully written and illustrated cartoons, books, and more - all of which are delightfully creepy. He will be deeply missed - but fortunately, his work will keep us laughing for a long time to come.

johnny optimism, medical, humor, sick, jokes, boy, wheelchair, doctors, hospital, stilton jarlsberg, gahan wilson, cartoonist, death, in memoriam, genius

7 comments:

JustaJeepGuy said...

I didn't know Gahan Wilson was still alive. Many of his cartoons creeped me out but I still found them hilarious. I wonder if he'll be able to rest in peace?

taminator013 said...

Most guys bought Playboy for the articles. I always bought it for the latest Gahan Wilson cartoons. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.......

RIP Mr. Wilson........

TrickyRicky said...

@taminator013- My sentiments exactly. In junior high school, I started buying Playboys at the local drug store, "for my Dad" I told them. Hah! I didn't necessarily flip to the Gahan Wilson cartoons first, but did enjoy them immensely, and in conjunction with National Lampoon they greatly shaped my twisted little brain.

RIP Mr. Wilson

John Holton said...

My favorite cartoon of all time is the one where there's a man in a marching band uniform, carrying a bass drum and holding a snare drum stick, who tells another (obviously the director) "I can't make big noise without you give me big stick!" RIP to a very weirdly funny man.

DougM said...

Alas,
now we're left with only Stilton for truly sick jokes

DougM said...

^ "Only" in the quantitative, not qualitative, sense

Stilton Jarlsberg said...

@JustaJeepGuy- I believe he will rest in peace. By all accounts, he was a sweet and kind man.

@taminator013- Wilson's full page color cartoons in Playboy were genuine works of art. And I'm still amazed by his line work and crosshatching. So much detail!

@TrickyRicky- I think there are a lot of people (me included) who had very similar experiences.

@John Holton- I really like that kind of a cartoon because it begs the question "where did THIS come from?" and because it's the art that really has to sell the gag.

@DougM- Today's cartoon is about that very point. I, too, make sick cartoons and I hope that people like me anyway.