Monday, September 11, 2023

Patch

johnny optimism, medical, humor, sick, jokes, boy, wheelchair, doctors, hospital, stilton jarlsberg, pirate, eye donor, aye-aye, AI, 3D

...which is not to be confused with an "AI" donor, even though it gives me a segue (barely) to share some high-tech fun.

I've recently been experimenting with an AI image generator that uses sketches as a model for more polished art. And so I've been plugging in some friends from Johnny's world to see what they might look like in real life...



This is fun stuff to play with, but I definitely prefer (and will keep using) the good old black-and-white line art. For one thing, it's easier to mix and match characters. Also, considering the frequently horrific things that happen in this webcomic it's more fun to see obvious cartoon characters instead of suffering human beings. Reality already gives us more than enough of that.

Want to try this technology yourself? You'll find it at https://www.promeai.com/blender and you can generate 200 images a month for free. And I'm not an affiliate or anything - I just like sharing fun toys.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Mr.Jarlsberg, for finding THE best use for AI this side of an actual medical research! These characters are lovely, even the clown!

JustaJeepGuy said...


Yeah @Stilt, stick with the drawings. AI Johnny's hands look way too weird and deformed to be anything like what Johnny might suffer fr--- oh, wait...it IS Johnny, after all.

Most of the rest of the AI characters look almost lifelike. That clown, though, still looks like he needs to meet his just desserts.

Bobo the Hobo said...

Ol’ Homie the Clown is funnier in B&W. Fun fact: clowns scare the pants off of me but your cartoons of Homie make me roar with laughter.

Erik said...

I agree that monochrome line art is funnier than realistic-looking images. I tried out the link Stilt provided on a few well-known optical illusions, with odd results. I have made them available in a single image at:

https://i.ibb.co/FJLtfQF/asking-AI-to-render-from-classic-line-drawn-illusions.jpg

I use this account on certain chat streams, and usually clear it at the end. So, this link will probably become invalid on Wednesday evening, 2023-09-13.

I note that it chose the young woman in the young/old woman illusion, and that the old woman in the version where you have to turn the image upside-down came out rather poorly. Also, for some reason it looks like it added a bee to one of the renderings of the face/vase under a house image.

TrickyRicky said...

Somehow the 'toon seemed to begging for the Captain, Oh Captain treatment.

AI scares me.

Gee M said...

This one was really a good one.
I love Pirate Jokes, yours is funnier than my favorite (what is a pirates favorite letter? The letter C...it's his life, his love, and his lady).
Don't forget one of my favorite National Celebrations...Talk Like A Pirate Day, September 18!
I I, Captain. Rrrrrr!

JustaJeepGuy said...


Ummm, GeeM, I could be mistaken but I believe it's September 19. Arrrrr! Buckets of blood!

Bobo the Hobo said...

@Gee M - Oh, Brandy!